Theatre in the Round at the Library Theatre: 1957

This page contains a more detailed guide to significant events concerning Scarborough's Theatre in the Round at the Library (abbreviated to the Library Theatre on this page) in 1957.


  • Stephen Joseph informs the Arts Council the Library Theatre will not be requiring a subsidy for the coming year
  • 3 June: Stephen Joseph is quoted in the Scarborough Evening News: "Everyone seems to think that if we can survive in Scarborough, we can flourish anywhere else. This is not entirely flattering to Scarborough, but we clearly want to survive in Scarborough."
  • June: Alan Ayckbourn joins Studio Theatre Ltd as an assistant stage manager and actor.
  • 4 July: The summer season opens with Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie.
  • July: Although Ken Boden had been extensively involved with the Library Theatre since it was formed in 1955, it is only from 1957 he is officially recognised in the venue's programmes. For several years, he is credited as Local Secretary (or Local Honorary Secretary).
  • Seats for the summer season are priced at 5s (or 3s 6d for the front row).
  • Summer: A poll is taken at the Library Theatre to ascertain support for a winter season in Scarborough; more than 600 people sign the letter.
  • 23 August: Stephen Joseph announces this has been the Library Theatre's most successful season yet.
  • 21 September: The summer season closes with Catherine Prynne's The Ornamental Hermit. This is the first season to make a profit and Stephen Joseph says he believes it will be approximately £250.
  • Profits from the summer season are spent in constructing a set of rostra which will enable a complete and portable theatre-in-the-round for touring.
  • A poll during the summer season indicates 40% of the audience is from Scarborough with the remaining 60% being tourists.
  • The costs for the 1957 summer season are estimated at £220 a week with the Library Theatre making approximately £270 a week.
  • 7 October: Scarborough Town Council grants permission for a winter season for the Library Theatre for four weeks from 9 December.
  • Studio Theatre Ltd buys a lorry for £40 to help enable its trips to London and touring seasons.
  • 10 December: The first winter season at the Library Theatre is launched with J.B. Priestley's I Have Been Here Before; this also marks the first production of a Priestley play by the company.
  • 16 December: The company performs its first play by John Osborne with his classic play Look Back In Anger, directed by Rodney Wood.
  • Stephen Joseph estimates the theatre needs an audience of 200 people for all performances to break even for the winter season; early in 1958, it is announced the theatre expects to have just covered the cost of the season.
Click here to go to 1958.

Article by Simon Murgatroyd. Copyright: Haydonning Ltd. Please do not reproduce this article without permission of the copyright holder.